Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hairpin Lace





I've been dying to try this crochet technique, hairpin lace, for a while. The tools are simple: yarn, crochet hook, and the loom to build your fabric strip on. I got my loom (Susan Bates) from a local craft store for around $5.



In hairpin lace the fabric is formed by wrapping yarn around the prongs of the hairpin lace loom, making the loops that will build to form your fabric. Those loops are held together by a row of single crochet stitches worked in the center and referred to as the spine of your work. The fabric strip that's being created on your loom can be as long as you want. The loom also allows you to adjust the width of the fabric strip.

The loom itself holds quite a bit of yarn (depending on the weight) and the bottom of the loom can be removed if you need more room to grow your strip. Once the fabric strip is long enough I'll remove it from the loom and start another. The strips can be joined to create wider fabric, that has a lightweight very air feel.


I'm not sure yet how long my strips will be, or how many I'll do, or what the final garment will be. A scarf (that's a no brainer). Maybe a shrug or wrap. A skirt; who knows?! I'm really just getting the feel of the technique right now.

I'll keep you updated on my progress. Stay tuned...
Oh yeah, when I was figuring out how to do this I used this tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPSFc8ts_g


Yarn happy!


Krista



No comments:

Post a Comment